New Bill Would Criminalize Private Gun Ownership in the United States
A new bill that has been proposed by Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee (D-TX) would effectively criminalize private gun ownership throughout the United States. H.R. 127, also referred to as the Sabika Sheikh Firearm Licensing and Registration Act, would be the most radical gun control reform that the United States has ever seen if passed. The bill is named in memory of Sabika Sheik, a Pakistani foreign exchange student that died in a school shooting in 2018.
The bill can be found HERE
Some of the main points within the bill include:
- Requiring a license to own any firearm or ammunition
- Requiring a 24 hour class to be certified with a firearm
- Raising the age to purchase a firearm to 21
- Requiring a government mandated psychological evaluation to own a firearm
- Requiring an additional license and psychological evaluation to own a “military-style” weapon
- Further bans on certain ammunitions designated by the ATF
- Requiring a mandatory firearm liability insurance, requiring $800 paid to the Attorney General’s Office every year
- Creating a national firearms database open to the public, that anyone can access and see what firearms a person possesses and where they keep them
- The federal government can decline the ability to own a firearm to anyone they deem a risk
If this bill is signed into law, violators will face a minimum of $75,000 in fines and 15 years in prison and a maximum penalty of $100,000 in fines and 25 years in prison.
Representative Jackson Lee faced criticism from the NRA in 2019 after stating that AR-15s are as heavy as 10 moving boxes and fire 50 caliber rounds.
— NRA (@NRA) September 24, 2019
The post New Bill Would Criminalize Private Gun Ownership in the United States appeared first on Breaking911.